Shotton Steel RFC | 1st Team 11 - 11 Clwb Rygbi Bro Gwernant | 1st Team
Joshua Wilson
1 Try
Iestyn Hughes
1 Penalty
Ashley Gareth Wilson
1 Penalty

Match Report
11 September 2016 / Team News

A Battle Royale

Following their opening weekend victory LLan travelled to Shotton knowing it would be a stern test with the Steelmen coming close to gaining promotion to Division 1  last season. The visitors were further hampered before the start when further illness and injury meant they would start the game without a recognised front row and could only play the game with the 15 that took to the field. In a nervy opening 20 mins both teams enjoyed possession but neither really threatening the opponents line. As the half wore on LLan seemed to get the upper hand and some good play saw them awarded a penalty in the Shotton 22 and outside half Iestyn Hughes stepped up and converted to give LLan a slender lead.  LLan continued good phase play and  were enjoying good possession but just before half time Shotton drew level with a penalty of their own. The second half started with LLan applying great pressure and were going through phase after phase but couldn't quite find the finishing touch. Shotton also began moving the ball wide and getting results but some fantastic defence from LLan and handling errors thwarted them. Halfway through the 2nd half more good build up play saw centre Bryn Sheppard break through the Shotton back line and drew the fullback before popping to LLan fullback Josh Wilson who crossed to give the Tower field men the lead they deserved. Hughes missed the conversion but LLan seemed to be taking control of the game. Shotton went to their bench and the introduction of outside half Steve Ellson seemed to settle them and they started to to try and reduce the deficit but again the LLan defence held firm and it was LLan who drew the next blood when skipper Ashley Wilson stroked over a penalty to take the lead out to 11-3. The final 20mins of the game were an end to end battle with Shotton 's fresh legs helping them lay siege to the LLan line and after some serious pressure and a number of penalties in the LLan 22 which they turned down they crossed the line, the conversion was missed but from the kick off Shotton came again and some concerted effort saw them rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts which they took and brought the sides level. It seemed as if they were in the ascendency and could push on and look to win the game but LLan had other ideas and pushed from the kick off, laying siege to the Shotton 22 and attack after attack they couldn't get over the line. With seconds left on the clock LLan won a penalty in the Shotton 22 and Hughes narrowly missed taking all the points for LLan. The referee brought a close to the breathless game with the honours even. Skipper Ashley Wilson added afterwards "what a game and what a performance the 15 lads today put everything on the line. Our recycling and phase play was fantastic and the defence was immense. We never thought at the start we would of had a chance to win the game but the performance was out of this world. The hard work we have done Mark from pre season really paid off today in attack and defence. We will now get ready for another tough test next week at home to Denbigh in the Swalec Bowl".


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos